Ruth First Scholarships for Southern Africans at Durham University 2015
About Durham University
Durham University is distinctive – a residential Collegiate University with long traditions and modern values. They seek the highest distinction in research and scholarship and are committed to excellence in all aspects of education and transmission of knowledge. Their research and scholarship affects every continent. Durham university is proud to be an international scholarly community which reflects the ambitions of cultures from around the world. They very well promote individual participation, providing a rounded education in which students, staff and alumni gain both the academic and the personal skills required to flourish.
About the 2015 Ruth First Scholarships for Southern Africans at Durham University
The Ruth First Scholarships for Southern Africans at Durham University 2015 Applications are presently on-going.
The aim of the Ruth First Educational Trust is to enable southern African students from historically disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake postgraduate study at the University of Durham. Southern Africa is defined for this purpose as comprising the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Republic of South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Scholarships make an important contribution towards social, educational and economic development in the region. In addition to their value to individuals they have wide developmental impact, within and beyond southern Africa.
Ruth First Scholars have played positive leadership roles in their communities and are chosen for their active commitment to good causes, as well as for their academic ability.
Many former Ruth First Scholars now hold important positions in the public and private sectors in southern Africa, and have become inspirational role models for young people.
The scholarship covers any Taught Masters Degree Programme offered at the University and is eligible for only Southern African countries.
Nationals of one of the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Republic of South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Value of Scholarship:
The Ruth First Scholarships for Southern Africans at Durham University covers the full payment of tuition fees, stipend for living expenses (12 months), one return air ticket to Durham City from home country, fully funded accommodation and meals at St Chad’s College, settlement allowance, and a contribution to the cost of sending belongings home before departure.
- • hold a relevant honours degree of sufficient standard to be admitted to your chosen Master’s course (further conditions apply to the MBA programme), and
• not hold a Master’s degree, nor have previously studied at a university outside southern Africa, and
• show evidence of active involvement in and commitment to voluntary work for the benefit of causes such as rural or urban community development; young people or educational projects; charitable organizations; health or AIDS awareness projects; student welfare or guidance. If you have a paid job that involves working in such areas, you should show evidence of leadership and commitment beyond the requirements of the job.
Procedure and Deadline of Application:
Do not submit a formal application to Durham University in the hope of winning the Ruth First Scholarship. Only the successful candidate will complete the University application process once the Trust has made its selection and consulted the Department concerned.
Completed application forms and supporting document must be sent to Ruth First Education Trust by 31 March 2015. It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship and to access the online application form.
Official Scholarship Website – https://www.dur.ac.uk/scholarships/postgraduate/university/ruthfirst/
See more updates from:
- Study in USA: 2018 Southern New Hampshire University Merit Scholarships - 20 hours ago
- Study in China: 2018 Wuhan University Scholarships for International and Chinese Law - 20 hours ago
- Study in Japan: 2018 Daiohs Memorial Foundation Scholarships at University of Tokyo – Japan - 20 hours ago
- Study in China: 2018 Henan Provincial Government Scholarship (Fully Funded) - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 African Excellence Scholarships (Full Tuition) at University of Glasgow - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: University Of Strathclyde Scholarship for Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences - 2 days ago
- Learn Web and Android Programming: Google/Udacity Africa Scholarship Program 2018 - 4 days ago