LabEx 2015 Postdoctoral Position in Egypt and Near East, France
About LabEx DynamiTe: The Cluster of Excellence Territorial and Spatial Dynamics, known in French as LabEx DynamiTe, includes top research units in the fields of geography, history, archeology, sociology, anthropology and economics. The LabEx intends to capitalize on the contributions of these different specialist fields by articulating them around a joint problematic, that of territoriality. ... Continue Reading
About LabEx DynamiTe:
About the LabEx 2015 Postdoctoral Position:
You are invited to apply for the LabEx 2015 Postdoctoral Position on River Ports of Egypt and Near East, France. Although the territories of both Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia were modelled by major rivers (the Nile in the case of Egypt, and the Tigris and Euphrates in Mesopotamia), no systematic research study has ever been carried out on one of the main features that enabled their operative use, i.e. the ports.
Yet, as indispensable infrastructures, the ports dictated the pace of the development of these regions by promoting navigation and interaction and through their emergence as strategic points.The postdoctoral researcher will contribute to the research blog on hypotheses which has already been set up (fleuves.hypotheses.org).
On completion of the contract, the research results will form the basis of a synthesis text to be published in a leading international journal (A ranking). Depending on the post-doc’s specialism, the article will be submitted to the Journal of Egyptian history or Akkadica. The eligible candidate must hold a doctorate in the history or archaeology of the ancient Near East or Egyptology.
The duration of his position is 1 year commencing between 01/09/2015 and 01/12/2015 (according to preference). French and international researchers can apply for this postdoctoral position.
Criteria for Eligibility:
The candidate must:
- hold a doctorate in the history or archaeology of the ancient Near East or Egyptology;
- have knowledge of the topic based on his or her doctoral studies or experience;
- have knowledge of the scientific references and debates surrounding these topics within both his or her own discipline and other disciplines;
- be completely fluent in French and English: a good knowledge of German would be an advantage;
- be able to work in a pluridisciplinary team.
Value of Scholarship/Inclusions:
The researcher would have a Net monthly salary is approximately EUR 2324; The duration of this position is 1 year and only one postdoctoral position is available.
The candidate(s) appointed following the assessment of the applications and interviews (which will take place during the week of 15 June 2015) will be informed of the results of the application process from 22 June 2015.
The application must be submitted electronically by application form. It must demonstrate that the candidate fulfils the requirements indicated in the position profile (specified tasks and skills). The application will include:
- a description of the proposed research project (3 to 5 pages) and an abstract (2,000 characters including spaces) indicating the theoretical basis of the research, the tests to be carried out on empirical materials, the methodology to be used, a feasibility report and project schedule;
- a covering letter;
- list of publications with internet links (if available);
- doctoral thesis defence report (not required for foreign candidates);
- copy of doctoral degree (or certificate).The thesis must have been defended fewer than five years ago.
Deadline for Application:
The deadline for the submission of applications is 26 April, 2015.
Official Scholarship Website:
For more information, visit –