2018/2019 Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarship Program for Young Researchers in Sub-Saharan Africa
Applications are currently ongoing for the Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarship Program for Young Researchers in Sub-Saharan Africa. Interested students should see the details below.
Scholarship Details and FAQs
Coimbra Group Universities have been providing, since 2008, young researchers from universities in Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to spend a short period (1 to 3 months) at a Coimbra Group University to carry out part of their research there.
When is the application deadline?
16th March 2018
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
All African countries except Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia (applicants from these countries are eligible under the Scholarship Programme for Young Researchers from the European Neighbourhood).
To be taken at (Country)
The following Coimbra Group universities are participating in the 2018 edition of the scheme:
- University of Barcelona (Spain)
- Eötvös Loránd University Budapest (Hungary)
- University of Coimbra (Portugal)
- University of Granada (Spain)
- University of Graz (Austria)
- University of Groningen (The Netherlands)
- KU Leuven (Belgium)
- University of Padova (Italy)
- University of Pavia (Italy)
- University of Poitiers (France)
- University of Salamanca (Spain)
- University of Würzburg (Germany)
What is the award about?
Universities of the Coimbra Group offer short-term visits (generally 1 to maximum 3 months) to young African researchers from higher education institutions from Sub-Saharan Africa. The main aim of this scholarship programme is to enable scholars to undertake research in which they are engaged in their home institution and to help them to establish academic and research contacts. The scholarships are financially supported by the Coimbra Group member universities participating in this programme, while the Coimbra Group Office is in charge of the administrative management of the applications.
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants should be:
- born on or after 1 January 1973
- nationals of and current residents in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- current staff members of a university or an equivalent higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- of doctoral/postdoctoral or equivalent status although some universities offer grants for Master’s level students (please see details in the table in the Link below).
Female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be prioritised.
How are selections made?
The administrative check of applications will be undertaken by the Coimbra Group Office in order to select candidates who meet the eligibility criteria. The selection of candidates will be undertaken by the host universities. When selection has been agreed upon, the host university may send a letter of invitation directly to the successful candidate. The Coimbra Group Office will contact all candidates and inform them about the result of their application. Successful candidates currently employed by a University are responsible for ensuring that their home institution will grant them leave of absence to undertake the proposed visit.
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the award?
Successful candidates will have access to excellent academic knowledge in quality facilities. The scholarships include financial support for tuition, living costs, airfares etc.
Duration of Program
From 1 to maximum 3 months. The dates of candidate’s stay should be agreed upon between the candidate and the academic supervisor at the Coimbra Group University. Typically this will be during the academic year 2018/2019.
It is important to go through the Application instructions on the Program Webpage (see Link below) before applying
Candidates will be able to select one university only. Multiple applications will not be considered valid.
See more updates from:
- Learn Web and Android Programming: Google/Udacity Africa Scholarship Program 2018 - 2 days ago
- Study in Germany: 2018 100% Bucerius Global Scholarships for International Students - 2 days ago
- Apply for the 2019 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Developing Solutions Masters Scholarships for African and Commonwealth Countries - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Merit Scholarships for International Students - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for African Students - 2 days ago
- Study In Germany: 2018 University of Bonn ZEF’s Doctoral Scholarship Programme - 2 days ago