About Post UTME Exams
- About Post UTME Exams
- Why Admission-Seeking Candidates Fail Their Post-UTME Exams
- Tips to Help You Score High in your Post UTME Exams
- Post UTME Last Minute Preparation Tips
Post UTME exams are just recognized exams that higher institutions in Nigeria conduct for students who apply for higher education admission in Nigeria.
Each university organizes and conducts her own post UTME exam but for a candidate to take part in this exam, the candidate must have applied to the university, wrote JAMB exam with a score equal to or above the general JAMB and university cut-off mark.
If a candidate fails to write post UTME exam, he or she will be denied admission irrespective of how high the candidate scored in JAMB exam.
Why Admission-Seeking Candidates Fail Their Post-UTME Exams
It is very important to know that most students who passed JAMB examination sometimes, end up not passing their post UTME. One can score 280 in JAMB and end up scoring 32 or even 20 in post UTME.
Below are some reasons why people fail post UTME.
1. They are afraid:
Fear is one of the greatest killer for someone who wants to pass PUTME exam, do not be intimidated by the number of people you see writing the same course with you, someone who fear has already been defeated and has already fail 80% of his or her Post UTME. Encourage and give hope to yourself, if you are able to remove fear in you, then you are already on the road to success.
2. They do not obey instructions:
Instructions in the examination hall is an examination itself. Failure to obey the instruction is failure to pass the examination. Simple! Do exactly what you are told to do and avoid doing what you are not told to do.
3. They are over-confident:
Overconfidence makes some students to relax into reading. Being too much confident will harm you. This type of students only realizes that they are no body only when the result is out.
4. They shade with 2B instead of HB pencil:
The OMR machine that will make the answer sheets recognizes HP pencil. So using 2B pencil may confuse the machine either to score you wrongly or discard your answers.
5. They lack time management skills:
Time is part of the examination, they test your ability to work with time. Manage the little time given to you, don’t waste much time on questions you don’t know go forward and complete all the ones you know and then come back to the unknown questions if there is still time.
6. They engage in Malpractice:
If you bring anything like expo into the exam hall, this can lead to your failure. Expo or external brain cannot help you especially in the aptitude test like Post UTME instead your God given brain. If you are caught, your paper will be squeezed immediately.
7. They do not practice adequately using CBT platforms:
Today’s post utme exams are mostly computer based. Nigeria is joining the world to go digital. JAMB UTME is now Computer Based Tests, and a lot of schools like UNILAG, UNN, OOU, LASU and many others have adopted the same pattern. You need to be conversant with the CBT platform to perform well in your Post UTME exam.
8. They do not prepare for Current Affairs
Some schools ask current affairs as part of the questions in their post utme examination. If you know that current affairs will be asked, you are advised to find the latest current affairs publication and use it as one of your reading materials.
Tips to Help You Score High in your Post UTME Exams
Before the Exams
- Understand the Type of Exams you are taking: before you can pass post any utme exams, you will have to understand the nature of the examination. Ask these vital questions before the exams; is the exams computer based? Or is it paper and pencil test? How are they setting the question? How many questions are my expecting to answer? What type of questions are my expecting? It it essay type questions? Is it multiple choice? This information will enable you to know how to prepare better for the upcoming examination.
- Get Past Questions: Getting past questions for the previous years is a top shot. These past questions will not only give you insight into the pattern of the exams but it will help you to brainstorm while practicing it and predict the possible questions you are expecting. If you don’t have any, go now and get one from your school of choice and start practicing it.
- Read Consistently: Of course you chose the path to study, so reading should not be a hobby anymore to you. Make consistent reading your culture. Read well and read wide. The secret of above 300 in your Post UTME Exams lies in reading persistently. Having gotten the pattern of the exams, set up a reading timetable and follow it religiously. Your goal is to get admission, so you should give priority to it until you achieve it.
- Join Extramural Classes: This has proven to to be a very effective means of scoring over 300.
On the Exams Day!
- Arrive at the Exams Venue Early: No matter how you prepared for the exams, it will become an absolute waste of energy if you do not arrive at the exam venue on time. Arriving early at the exam venue will give you the opportunity to be adapted to the environment, for instance you are travelling to a far place for your exams. You will also have the opportunity to be part of the orientation talk with respect to the exams. If your university of choice is in another state of very far from your location, I will advise that you travel a day before the exams.
- Bring required exam materials: Make sure you go to the exam hall with all the required exam materials and avoid going with any other thing that can implicate you.
- On the exam hall: What ever that happened and the expected result depends on what you are doing in the examination hall. Below are the basic tips:
(a) Pay attention to instructions: Do exactly what you are told to do and avoid doing what you are not old to do
(b) Prayer Matters: You have to invite your creator to help you in the exams you are about to take.
(c) Consult the timing of the exams: Check the time allotted for the exams and compare it with the number of questions you’re given. This will give you insight to how much time should be spent on a particular question
(d) Use your brain: You have to apply what ever you read before the exams, aside from that, the time you spent to read will become totally wasted. Scan through the options before reading the questions. Read every question slowly and attempt to answer it. If you can’t decipher the correct answer, read it slowly again and attempt to answer. If you don’t have any headway, just leave it and go to another one.
(e) Time yourself: Timing in the exam hall is very paramount. If you are answering 100 questions for 1hour, you have to calculate it out. There are 60minutes in 1hour for me to use it and answer 100 questions. That means I have 0.6minutes to answer 1question. As simple as that. So if you try to answer a particular question without answer, leave it to another to same time for other questions. After you can come back to revisit the questions that you left behind.
(f) Shade the Correct Answer: This exam is called aptitude test. It is meant to test your common reasoning. These are cheap questions. Read each question carefully and attempt your answer. Take note, most questions might not have answer there in the options. “It is aptitude test”
(g) Shade everything correctly: make sure you shade everything correctly if it is paper and pencil exams. If you are writing on a computer make sure you read more about computer based test to have a flaire of the exam situation.
(h) Submit when you are told to: Final Point.
Post UTME Last Minute Preparation Tips
Your Post UTME Exam is fast approaching, here are a few last minute tips and tricks to help the students prepare well:
1. Concentrate on the topics that you have already covered and about which you are confident. Trying to learn new topics at this time will only waste time and lower your confidence.
2. Prepare a revision timetable and study during the last days before the exam according to this schedule.
3. Decide beforehand how much time you will spend on each section. Work this out according to your strengths and weaknesses, however, make sure to not favour the sections
you like as the cut-off for all subjects must be cleared.
4. It is a good idea to revise all the formulas and difficult problems for each subject.
5. Don’t try group studies in the last days. The build up of anxiety and stress will be more within a group, and it is bound to influence you.
6. Practice from question banks. Take a good question bank which has solutions as well, so you can check yourself. Also, practice the past years’ post utme papers, this would give you
an idea about the upcoming Post UTME exam.
7. While attempting mock papers try and pace yourself, so that on the day of the exam you have an estimation of how much time will you take for each section.
8. It would be better if you set a target score range for yourself and practice according to that. This would help you work on your strong areas and make it easier for you to achieve the score for which you’re aiming.
9. When you get the exam paper on the day of post-UTME exam, do not start attempting it blindly. Read the entire question paper carefully and identify your strong and weak points. Then begin with the easier questions which carry more marks and move on to the more difficult questions.
10. Above all, be sure to remain calm and not let the stress get to you. Take frequent breaks and relax your mind. In order to do well in the exam, your mind needs to be stress-free.
We wish you success in your examination.