Apply Now for 2016 TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
About TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy have instituted the TWAS-DBT Fellowship Programs, which are postgraduate fellowship programs for foreign scholars from developing countries. The TWAS-DBT Fellowship Programs is for those who wish to pursue research towards a PhD ... Continue Reading
About TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy have instituted the TWAS-DBT Fellowship Programs, which are postgraduate fellowship programs for foreign scholars from developing countries.
The TWAS-DBT Fellowship Programs is for those who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in Biotechnology, tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years. The language of instruction is English.
31 August 2016
- TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India. To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institution a list of biotechnology institutes in India is available here: List_Biotechn_India.pdf. However, candidates are free to choose an Indian biotechnology institution that does not appear on the list.
- DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
- The language of instruction is English
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form).
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
How to Apply
- For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample included in the application form).
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Applicants will have until the deadline to submit the Acceptance Letter to TWAS. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letter: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS. The subject line must contain: DBT/PG/candidate’s surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes.
- Should you have applied to or availed any Indian fellowships (especially INSA JRD TATA and JNCASR-CICS) in the current or previous year this must be clearly specified in the application form.
- Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should be sent to TWAS and CICS (by email).
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year from among those offered by TWAS.
Visit the link below for more information on the fellowship programme.
See more updates from: