2014 ETISALAT PRIZE FOR LITERATURE
Etisalat Nigeria is one of the major mobile telecommunications service providers in Nigeria. Established in 2008, the network has since grown in leaps and bounds, and currently holds 15% of the market share with over 15 million subscribers. Etisalat Nigeria consistently demonstrates its core values of – teamwork, integrity, passion for excellence, empowering our people and growing our people as it offers them world-class telecommunications services.
Etisalat is also committed to taking its place amongst leading corporate citizens in Nigeria by making wide-impact and sustainable social investments. Etisalat believes that apart from offering a solid platform of technological innovation, sustainable investment is the bedrock of stellar growth and economic stability.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is the first ever pan-African prize celebrating first time writers of published fiction books. The Prize aims to serve as a platform for the discovery of new creative talent out of the continent and invariably promote the burgeoning publishing industry in Africa.
By recognizing and celebrating writers and other members of the literary community across Africa, Etisalat plans to bring some much needed awareness and acclaim to the art of Fiction writing while also applauding and rewarding the efforts of those who have ventured into this genre in recent times.
At the core of Etisalat’s vision is promoting passion, nurturing talent and providing a platform for communicating ideas, The ‘Etisalat Prize for Literature’ wholly embodies this vision, bringing together celebrated high profile writers, book critics and academics from across the Continent and beyond in order to give credence and honor to ‘home-grown’ talent while also rewarding new entrants and encouraging further participation in this area.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature celebrates new writers of African citizenship whose first fiction book (over 30,000 words) was published in the last twenty four (24) months. For the purposes of this definition, first book means first printed production in book form of any type or genre. Authors and their publishers can be based anywhere in the world. An online Flash Fiction Prize will be launched later in the year driven entirely by social media – more information on this will be made available on our website.
The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Montblanc Meisterstuck. In line with our vision of promoting upcoming writers, Etisalat will sponsor a book tour to three African cities. The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book. Shortlisted writers will win a Samsung Galaxy Note and also go on a book tour to two major African cities.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will therefore purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent.
Criteria for Entry:
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses.
- All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of ten (10) authors.
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
How to Enter:
Applications will be accepted via post only. Please complete the attached entry form signifying acceptance of our terms and conditions.
The application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the submitted book to the following address:
Etisalat Prize for Literature
Building 2, Oriental Office Building
3, Lekki Road, Victoria Island
Contact Telephone: +234 (0) 818 111 0 222
|Call to Entry||12th May 2014|
|Entry Deadline||8th August 2014|
|Longlist announced||3rd November 2014|
|Shortlist announced||8th December 2014|
|Winner announced||22nd February 2015|
See more updates from:
- Learn Web and Android Programming: Google/Udacity Africa Scholarship Program 2018 - 1 day ago
- Study in Germany: 2018 100% Bucerius Global Scholarships for International Students - 1 day ago
- Apply for the 2019 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa - 1 day ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Developing Solutions Masters Scholarships for African and Commonwealth Countries - 1 day ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Merit Scholarships for International Students - 1 day ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for African Students - 1 day ago
- Study In Germany: 2018 University of Bonn ZEF’s Doctoral Scholarship Programme - 2 days ago